• Score & Soundtrack

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

DARK Sounds

Administrator
Staff member
So, I am thinking about the styles of music we produce, and writing a comprehensive list of styles is rather difficult.. But being a nosey fell I was interested in seeing if anyone would consider themselves producing under these sub-genres.

Drop me a comment of other sub-genres to add here..

ArtificialDisco

Tier 2 Established
Producer / Artist
Tenebris Membrum
Ambient Techno I guess? Maybe Jazz Fusion? I had to go to Wikipedia though, because I've always been confused about all these genre names, haha.

I'm going by that label being put on some of my favorite albums, like In Sides and Snivilisation by Orbital and the SAW albums by Aphex Twin, which have served as my models and inspiration, besides my own jazz background.

Comment

Modern Music for Funerals

Administrator
Producer / Artist
Haha, yeah.. Even I am scratching my head as to what the sub-genres are for IDM... @DARK Sounds and I were discussing that we actually hat the term IDM, as do many people. It was a playoff for attracting people through SEO.. Not sure really, we may do a forum name change... That could be a good question for the group!

Comment

RedMoses

BEEP BEEP
Tenebris Membrum
Yeah it is a funny thing IDM, it's like a catch-all for fringe music genres that no one knew what to do with:) Aphex hates the term, I guess he's allowed to..

Comment

ArtificialDisco

Tier 2 Established
Producer / Artist
Tenebris Membrum
I'm neutral about the IDM label myself. In the end it's just a name. People will stop thinking about what it really means as an acronym and remember what it is by association. A lot of musical genres have kind of stupid names, but they just stick, and then become easy references so people kind of have an idea what you're talking about.

Comment