The IDM Production Bureau

Welcome to The IDM Production Bureau

What do you guys use on your master bus?

JerryBlack

Tenebris Membrum
I'm interested in hearing what your master bus looks like.

Does anyone have a go to setup they use within their template?

I'd imagine you change them around to suit the style. but what are the your fav's?

I often use Shadow Hills Mastering Compressor, but that is mainly because it sounds like it should be a game on the playstation..

Other than that I play around with Ozone, but I like doing it myself really;)

Mindspawn

Artist
Yeah, like you note, my mastering chain changes depending on the context of the music. That said, some of my favorite bits are the Avalon 747, Maselec MEA-2, Manley Massive Passive, Manley Vari Mu, Dangerous Music BAX EQ, Chandler Curve Bender, Unisum comp by Tone Projects, FabFilter's Q3, L2, and MB, Weiss's DS1 MK3, AOM's Invisible Limiter G2, and I'm pretty fond of a lot of the EQs made by Acustica Audio....

Heheh, great comment on the Shadow Hills MC. I occasional use that, too.... I've not spent that much time with it, but it's been nice for certain tasks, like some light leveling with a splash of color. I tend to use it a bit more on the rare occasion when I do a mix. It was great on some drum overheads. Big fan of Kush Audio's Silika for drum buss work as well.

Ozone I have and still use for the occasional bit, I like the Vintage Limiter for some things, and the codec emulator is super useful on those occasions where someone wants me to make a special master for streaming or Apple Digital Masters.

Never been a fan of "assistant" anything, that includes matching EQs and Ozone's master assist... you'll definitely do a better job on your own. =)

Last edited:
Comment

Spoiler

Tenebris Membrum
Artist
Hi Jerry, totally agree it changes a lot actually, but i've never tried the Shadow Hills. Ill have a play as it comes with the Plugin Alliance subscription.

I always have C2 from fabfilter and kclip3, such an underated plugin. At the end of the chain, I always have BX_Meter (I love this plugin)

Other than that, I play with Fabfilter Pro MB and Pro Q 3 if I need it, but i normally try to get each of my bus groups right before they hit the master.

Comment

Spoiler

Tenebris Membrum
Artist
@Mindspawn thats some nice kit you mention there! The 747 kicks arse.

Thumbs GIF by Sesame Street

Comment

Atsuhiko

Staff member
Artist
Some good shouts here.. I’m a huge fan of CLA series 2 and 3 are just awesome, and most of the UAD Neve plugins.. playing with Waves Focusrite today which is ugly but nice. Finally some of the dynamics by Abbey Road..

Comment