The IDM Production Bureau

Welcome to The IDM Production Bureau

What do we think of the Soundcloud Mastering Option..

ArtificialDisco

Tier 3 Contributor
Producer / Artist
Tenebris Membrum
I haven't tried it but I did try CloudBounce (which CDBaby is pushing) and eMastered. I liked how it immediately made my music sound better, but eventually I tried mastering it myself and by doing some tweaking it eventually sounded better than that. I don't know... maybe if you don't know anything about this stuff and you're in a race against time to have people hear your music, maybe it makes sense? But if you're willing to put in the hours or know someone who is able to, it's always going to be better, I think.

Comment

Modern Music for Funerals

Administrator
Producer / Artist
I haven't tried it but I did try CloudBounce (which CDBaby is pushing) and eMastered. I liked how it immediately made my music sound better, but eventually I tried mastering it myself and by doing some tweaking it eventually sounded better than that. I don't know... maybe if you don't know anything about this stuff and you're in a race against time to have people hear your music, maybe it makes sense? But if you're willing to put in the hours or know someone who is able to, it's always going to be better, I think.
Yeah I feel that, me also.. I prefer to do it myself to be honest.

What's your process, workflow?

I normally stem the track out and bring it into Logic as even my new Macbook Pro 2019 16" all singing and dancing just melts the CPU without using stems. I have to say, I'm really unimpressed with the MPB..

Comment

ArtificialDisco

Tier 3 Contributor
Producer / Artist
Tenebris Membrum
At the moment I'm trying to compose on the MPC1000 as much as possible. When I've finished a song (or trained myself into muting / unmuting the way I want it), I'll track everything into my recorder, which is a Zoom R16. From there I'll bring the stems into Reaper for mixing.

If there are solo spots or I want to play the melodies directly I'll usually play that straight into Reaper after all the tracking is done. There might also be a sample preparation phase before I'll do anything else. I'l usually do that on the computer.

Comment

Mindspawn

Tier 3 Contributor
Producer / Artist
AI Mastering, like SoundCloud offers, might be fine for basic leveling, but it also results in "homogenized" music, IMO. If you want to sound like everyone else, it's probably not bad. If you want your music to be mastered to its fullest potential then engage with a professional mastering engineer.

But of course I would say that as I'm a mastering engineer. ;)

Comment

Jazzyspoon

Tier 2 Established
Producer / Artist
Tenebris Membrum
I prefer my own masters for my electronic stuff, but I have tried several of the online choices over the last many years to simply learn what curves/compression are becoming a 'standard'. Some of my rock based recordings from other projects actually sound pretty good in soundcloud's AI when I tried them, but that might be because I lack the experience in mastering rock/acoustic music overall since I have spent less time doing it. Overall, try it and if it sounds good to you (and maybe a few of your peers), it's probably a doable option considering how much cheaper it is (relative to a real engineer-looking at you mindspawn). That said, if I was releasing on a major label, I wouldn't let an AI touch my recordings, so I guess it's about affordability and convenience.

Comment