The IDM Production Bureau

Welcome to The IDM Production Bureau

Sound design thread

ArtificialDisco

Tier 3 Contributor
Producer / Artist
Tenebris Membrum
OK, a question: Do you generally design sounds for a purpose? Like, you've got a composition and you need something to do the chords and you try to figure out a sound that works?

Or do you spend a lot of time creating weird sounds, and that happens to be your inspiration to new making new music?

What's your philosophy on this? What are your tools? I've notices that Reaktor is really popular around here, but I confess to know dick about it.

Also, do you spend time figuring out how other musicians made their stuff? Like what the fuck was happening in The Exploding Psychology (Squarepusher)?

Jazzyspoon

Tier 2 Established
Producer / Artist
Tenebris Membrum
Looking up techniques is inevitable if you want to learn special ways of using tools (the hyper use of sidechain compression over the last decade is a good example). When i am sound designing, it is often for the purpose of learning the ins and outs of an instrument or tool, though I have made patches for my developer friends. Occasionally, I'll come upon a sound or loop that can inspire an entire track, but that is mostly rare. I do use Reaktor quite a bit for sound designing, but nothing beats good ole manual editing/designing in your DAW or daisy-chaining an insane amount of fx/inst until madness ensues (and then destructive editing, so there no going back).

Comment

DARK Sounds

Administrator
Staff member
Hey, i've been off-grid for some weeks..

Good question though mate, I'm definitely an experimenter without anything in mind. I normally turn things until I get a sound I like.. I mainly experiment away until something hits, it's a really long-winded process for me and often ends up in scrapping the ideas. In fact, I lose a great deal of momentum when messing around.

I don't really like Reaktpr much, never really clicked with me. I do get on with Omnisphere though, that and some crazy FX chains and I can normally get where I want to be.

At the moment I'm stuck in a loop of being too pretentious with my music and feel a load of pressure when creating something new, hence the downtime over the past few months.

Comment

Laxa

Tier 3 Contributor
Producer / Artist
Tenebris Membrum
OK one at a time

Do you generally design sounds for a purpose?
No I have an idea of the melody or whatever then find a sound that fits, rather like finding the right font in graphic design.

Or do you spend a lot of time creating weird sounds, and that happens to be your inspiration to new making new music?
I amend some of the native instruments to make then sound more unique but just to fit the piece, not necessarily define it.

What's your philosophy on this? What are your tools? I've notices that Reaktor is really popular around here, but I confess to know dick about it.
I just write and create. I don't think about it too much. Sit down, decide which project I am going to write for, which sets some parameters, electronic, ambient, post classical, post rock and then start. As for the tools I keep it really simple. I don't depart from using what FL Studio Mobile provides, that way I can just write and not get bogged down in tracking down this VST or that sound. I have composed 112 pieces this way in the last 9 months.

Also, do you spend time figuring out how other musicians made their stuff? Like what the fuck was happening in The Exploding Psychology (Squarepusher)?
No I don't care as they weren't using the same gear as me nor likely have the same influences that shape the music.

My stuff is at https://soundcloud.com/these-guitars-say-sorry%2Ftracks if you're interested.

Comment

ArtificialDisco

Tier 3 Contributor
Producer / Artist
Tenebris Membrum
But don't you guys ever even wonder? How did Squarepusher do it? Like I just figured out gated breakbeats. That was a huge step forward for me, personally.

I have been enjoying these tracks from you Laxá, their fucking great!

Comment

Laxa

Tier 3 Contributor
Producer / Artist
Tenebris Membrum
But don't you guys ever even wonder? How did Squarepusher do it? Like I just figured out gated breakbeats. That was a huge step forward for me, personally.

I have been enjoying these tracks from you Laxá, their fucking great!
Curiosity killed the cat! I use a $14.99 piece of software to record my stuff so it's unlikely I could replicate it even if I could identify how it was done. I might try to set a similar mood perhaps but even that gets messed up. This one for instance, was supposed to be a smooth soft droney piece and ended up more harsh. Glad you like the tracks btw, thanks for letting me know.

https://soundcloud.com/these-guitars-say-sorry%2Flet-the-dead-ride-by-siegfried-junger

Comment