The IDM Production Bureau

Welcome to The IDM Production Bureau

"But is it any good?" and licensing your music

Laxa

Tier 2 Established
Producer / Artist
Tenebris Membrum
So I have created 94 pieces since last July some classical, some classical crossing into ambient and a post frock ambient project too as well as singer songwriter material. To my first question. "is it any good". So hard to quantify. I and running at about 12k listens a month on Soundcloud so people are listening and commenting but that's not a measure of quality objectively.

That leads to my second point. How do you get music licensed or represented? I have no clue where to start just the wrong side of the business coin for me. You need 3 songs a week? I can do that, the rest? Nope.

Any input welcomed.

Modern Music for Funerals

Administrator
Producer / Artist
Really good question mate, you certainly have the right vibe and context with your music. Those listening figures also speak loads to the quality and number of repeat listeners that come back for more.

Something @bleepeater was mentioning the other month was creating an independent label, but that is the east part, mind you something I am certainly interested in.

There is the obvious out there like Cryochamber, but I have heard so many artists complain about their finance model.

I suppose if you measure by finance, then it has to be monetized, but as long as we have a track on Soundcloud and Bandcamp that can be played indefinitely then people won't need to purchase or stream - this all depends if that is the outcome desired.

But this sis certainly worth a bigger debate on here.

Comment

Laxa

Tier 2 Established
Producer / Artist
Tenebris Membrum
Thanks for the response and sorry for the delay at my end. I guess I think in monetary terms as I played live a lot before COVID so was looking to replace some lost income. I have found that's not going to happen. I don't have the bandwidth to do a label and really hate the promo side of the "business" so getting with a label would be the thing but we are in a place of infinite supply of music which economically leads to a value of $0 for the product. I feel like I am improving but it's a game of chance. Right track, right place, just has to be a fit, especially for soundtrack work. So I'll keep putting out more stuff, Soundcloud is helpful for the feedback, then I may pull tracks if I get interest.

Comment